Saturday, February 20, 2010

Behind the Name

Today I had a volleyball tournament with my club team. Unfortunately, this tournament happened to land on the day of BHS girls' basketball playoff game, which 3 of the girls on my team play on. So with a team of 8, missing 3 girls is a big problem. We would only have 5 girls to play instead of the necessary 6. Luckily we were able to recruit a girl from a younger team and another girl who plays school volleyball to come and help us out. Even with new team members and different positions we still took 3rd place (out of about 15 teams)!! It was super fun and we played really well.

With all day tournaments, practices, school season, and weekend tournaments we all get ot know each other pretty well. On our team we all have developed nicknames, whether we like them or not. There's Jimantha (Jim for short), El Matador, Captain, Dwight, and so many more. My nickname came from my frequent falls and "stupid" comments (which I don't think were very stupid at all). So despite my 3.99 GPA, I landed the nickname Special "M", deriving from Special "Ed". I thought it was a one time name but it stuck. Not only I'm I called that during volleyball, I'm called Special "M" in school, when we hang out, it's my name in phones, and even it the yearbook (only on the volleyball page thank goodness)! So that is where my blog URL came from. My nickname and my lucky number 17, which is also my jersey number.





There were no pictures from this tournament so I just found some from a school game, thanks Amy for the wonderful photography skills :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frist of all.... THANKS FOR USING MY PICTURES!! I AM HONORED!! :) i love you special "m" i also want to point out that 17 is not only your lucky number but my birthday, coincidence... i think not!!

Jessica said...

Yay for Special M!!! :) Although I don't think I've ever called you that.... but it's okay. I still know all about it. hee hee By the way, congrats on third!! That is awesomeness. :)

Jessica said...

I think I realized why I don't call you Special M... It's because the 'stupid comments' you make aren't stupid to me! They make sense!! haha That must be why we get along so well. We agree that the stupid remarks are not stupid. ;)