Sunday, May 16, 2010

Spaghetti Dinner

Every year the young women in my ward hold a fund raiser for girls camp. Usually we do some sort of breakfast or a dinner. This year we did a spaghetti dinner. It was super fun and a big success. We did something a little different this year and had a dessert auction with cakes, homemade breads, pies, and other yummies. I made a berry trifle to be auctioned off. As I was making it, my dad told me he would buy it no matter what. He loves trifle and even though he is probably the most frugal person I know, I knew he meant it.

After dinner the auction started. Most everything was going anywhere from 15-25 dollars. When my trifle came up to be auctioned off my dad started the bidding high. You could tell he meant business. But other members of our ward weren't going to let him have it easy and the bidding war began. His biggest competition? My mom! She got really into the whole auction thing and liked to drive up the prices, bidding on almost everything and against everyone, including my dad. Once my dad realized what was going on, he went over and sat by her so he could "monitor" her. Even after my parents stopped bidding against each other, the bidding war continued with other ward members. My dad eventually won. Guess how much my trifle went for? It went for $60!!! It was the hit of the evening.



2 comments:

Lisa Childs said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEEEEEE I told you a trifle would be a golden idea!!!!1 SO PROUD OF YOU! woo woo! you can have some firewood at girls camp this year melissa! hehe I'm so glad that it worked out, it looks absolutely beautiful. I would definitely have loved to eat it too. And watch your mom drive the prices up haha love it! Good job!

andersons said...

That trifle looked so good! Good job on earning 60 bucks for camp! It is going to be so fun for me to be back in young womens with you guys again! Bring on the snipe hunts :).